All residents of Salem are eligible for resident library cards. Library cards, adult or juvenile, held by residents of Salem are valid for three years from the date issued unless the card-holder moves out of Salem, in which case the card expires immediately, and the individual must then purchase a non-resident card.
Non-residents are eligible for resident library cards, valid for one year only from the date issued, if they meet one or more of the following criteria
• Adults employed in town (must have current proof of employment)
• Former library employees and trustees.
• Temporary residents (see below)
People living temporarily in Salem may get a free, temporary card valid for 90 days from the date issued. Proof of local address as well as proof of permanent address must be provided. Individuals eligible for temporary cards include:
• Long term family members
• Business persons staying in Salem
NON-RESIDENT CARD - ADULT
Adults who do not live in Salem and who do not meet any of the aforementioned conditions can purchase a non-resident card. Non-resident cards are issued to individuals at a yearly cost of $40.00.
We accept cards issued by member libraries of GMILCS. We do not honor any cards from any other library.
JUVENILE CARD - RESIDENT
A child who is a resident of Salem may receive their first card when they turn four (4) years old. Juvenile cards are issued to children from age 4 through age 11. A juvenile card may be used to circulate materials from the Adult Section. When a child turns 12 year of age, registration is moved to adult status.
JUVENILE CARD - NON-RESIDENT
Children who do not live in Salem and who do not meet any of the aforementioned conditions can purchase a non-resident card. Non-resident cards are issued to individuals at a yearly cost of $40.00.
We accept cards issued by member libraries of GMILCS. We do not honor any cards from any other library
GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR GETTING A CARD
• Anyone interested in a card must fill out a registration form and sign it with the understanding that they are financially responsible for the materials he/she checks out.
• Proof of residency must be shown. Primary addresses that are PO Boxes will not be accepted. Examples of proof of residency include:
o Valid state license or id
o Car registration
o Envelope that has been delivered by the post office
o Utility bill (with name and address included)
o Rent receipt (with name and address included)
• For non-resident cards, similar identification showing his/her current address must be shown. See above for examples.
• To renew an expired card, proof of residency must again be shown. A new card is not issued at renewal.
• Ownership of a Salem library card includes full participation in the GMILCS Common Borrower Card program.
• Lost cards may be replaced at a cost of $1.00 per card.
REGISTRATION POLICY ADOPTED BY KELLEY LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
March 12, 2009, revised April 16, 2009
Revised April 22, 2015