Policy and Guidelines for Public Internet Use
The Kelley Library offers public access to the Internet as part of its commitment to provide informational, educational, and cultural resources for the people of Salem.
The Internet is a global entity, and the Kelley Library does not control it. Some
Internet sites contain information that a user may find controversial or offensive. Users
access the Internet at their own risk.
In addition, not all sites on the Internet provide accurate, complete, or current information. Users should evaluate Internet sources carefully, just as they do other sources of information, and question the accuracy of the information provided. The Kelley Library expressly disclaims any liability or responsibility arising from access to the Internet, or use of information obtained through the Internet, or any consequences thereof.
It is the library’s policy that parents or legal guardians are responsible for their children’s use of the Internet.
1. Use of the sit-down computers is reserved for Salem residents. Users should have a valid Kelley Library card. Salem residents who do not already have one can easily obtain a free card by showing proof of Salem residency, such as a driver's license. Staff can sign residents without a card onto the computers as guests. GMILCS consortium cardholders may be logged onto sit-down computers. Time management software limits sit-down sessions to one hour.
2. Use of the stand-up computers also is intended for Salem residents. However, non-residents without a Kelley Library card can be signed on by library staff as guests. Time management software limits stand-up sessions to 20 minutes.
3. Users must read the library’s “Policy and Guidelines for Public Internet Use” and agree to this policy when logging into the computer workstations.
4. Printing from the computers, as well as wireless printing from personal laptops, is available at a cost of 15 cents per page for black and white printing and 35 cents per page for color printing.
5. Users are not permitted to download information onto the hard drive. They may download to a disk or storage device. Please note: Material downloaded from the Internet may contain malware, including but not limited to computer viruses, trojans, or worms, and the library’s virus protection may not protect against all malware. The Kelley Library is not responsible for any damage which may occur when a disk or other storage device with software downloaded from the Internet is put into the user's own computer.
6. No manipulation of any library operating system, setups, or files is allowed. Abuse of service or equipment will result in the user being denied further access to the Internet computer. Malicious damage will result in the suspension of library privileges and/or prosecution.
7. Users may not use the Internet computer for any illegal purpose including unauthorized access, software piracy, or violation of copyright laws. Users are expected to engage in responsible, ethical use of the Internet, which includes not displaying text or images that are inappropriate for public viewing. Infractions will result in the suspension of computer access and further actions when appropriate.
8. No more than two people may use one Internet computer at a time.
9. The Kelley Library provides wireless Internet access throughout the building. Library staff will provide general information on the settings necessary to access the Internet via our wireless connection, as well as help with wireless printing. The library cannot guarantee a secure connection to the Internet in a wireless environment so wireless users are cautioned to use standard protection software to prevent unauthorized access to their wireless devices. The library’s Internet Use Policy governs the use of the Internet over the wireless access points in the library.
10. These guidelines are subject to change, and will be posted at the Internet computer.
ADOPTED BY KELLEY LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES: JULY 17, 1997
AMENDED BY KELLEY LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES: OCT. 23, 1997, MAY 24, 2001, JULY 24, 2008,
AMENDED BY KELLEY LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES: 2014